GST Registration is that part of the GST regime in which every business with turnover of Rs.40 Lakhs should register as a normal tax payer. The threshold turnover limit for GST registration for NE and hill states is Rs.10 lakh.
GST registration is compulsory for some business. The taxable business person will draw high amounts of penalty if he fails to carry on business without doing GST registration.
Government has enabled online GST registration and majority of the new GST registration is accomplished through the online GST registration mode. Recently, the government of India has announced that new GST registration will take only 3 days on submitting Aadhaar card and authenticating it.
Are you unsure of how to do GST online registration? In order to apply GST online, you may visit the following government portal exclusively for GST online registration: https://reg.gst.gov.in/registration/. Online GST applying is quite simple and self-doable for all.
What is Online GST Registration Process?
Here is the step-by-step procedure for online GST registration:
- Go to GST portal (mentioned above)
- In the New Registration page, furnish the details in the prompted fields and click Proceed
- Enter the OTP sent to the registered mobile number/ E-mail and click Proceed
- A Temporary Reference Number (TRN) of your online GST registration will be displayed which the user has to note down for future reference
- Go back to the GST portal and select Register seen under the Taxpayers menu
- Select TRN, enter generated TRN along with Captcha code and click Proceed
- User should enter the second OTP received through registered E-mail / mobile number and click on Proceed
- Next page will display the status of your application on which you will see an Edit icon on the right side. Click Edit icon.
- On clicking the Edit icon, a page is displayed where the user has to enter the correct information and submit the necessary documents (which is detailed in the coming section of this article)
- User can verify the entered details from Verification page and then submit the article using EVC/E-sign/DSC
- A success message will be displayed and ARN will be sent to registered mobile number /E-mail ID for online GST registration
- The new GST registration’s ARN status can be checked
- GSTIN (GST Identification Number) will be generated for your registration which is very important for your - secure it!
A dedicated administrator will process your GST registration all the way through. This new GST registration process is entirely online and there will be no need to visit the office once. In the new GST registration process, the person can opt for CA assistance for GST related matters
Now we know how to register for GST and the earlier you do the better. Failure to register under GST will draw penalties.
Who should do GST Registration?
- Individuals registered under pre-GST laws like Excise, VAT, and Service Tax etc.
- Business with turnover of more than Rs.40 lakh should register under GST. The threshold turnover limit is different for North Easter States, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand and is Rs.10 lakh.
- Casual Taxable Person: A person supplying taxable goods or services at times to a taxable territory where the person does not have a fixed place of business should register under GST. Casual Taxable Person is also called as Non-resident Taxable Person.
- Agents of a supplier and input service distributor
- Tax payers coming under Reverse Charge Mechanism
- All E-commerce aggregators and every person who supplies through E-commerce aggregators
- Person other than registered taxable person who supplies online information and database access or reclamation services from outside India to a person in India.
What is Offline GST Registration Process?
On registering under GST through offline, the user will be generated with a GSTIN which is very important and has to be safely saved for meeting future requirements. The application and agreements under GST with respect to the business you are carrying out needs to be carefully studied and registered accordingly under the GST tax structure.
How to do GST registration? Here are the steps involved:
- Purchase the plan according the nature and type of your business
- An expert will be assigned to authorize your inputs
- Upload the required documents
- Submit the documents and other required information in the portal
- Acquirer Reference Number (ARN) will be generated
- GSTIN issued
Which are the Documents Required for GST Registration?
- PAN card and Aadhaar card of the applicant
- Business registration or incorporation certificate as proof
- Photographs of directors alongside their IDs and address proof
- Address proof of location of the business
- Bank account statement or cancelled cheque
- Digital signature (digital identity certified by an authority)
- Authorization letter or board resolution for authorized signatory
What are the GST Registration Fees?
Government does not levy any GST registration fees and is absolutely free of cost. If the applicant opts to do it through an intermediate agency, there will be a handling fee imposed by the agency as per their discretion.
What is the Penalty for not Registering under GST?
If the defaulter fails to pay tax due to genuine reasons, the penalty will be 10% of the tax amount outstanding subject to a smallest possible amount of Rs.10000. For those defaulter who purposely evaded the tax, there will be a penalty of 100% of the due tax amount.